Click here for pdf
October 14, 2011 – Five Locke Lord attorneys have been named 2012 Lawyers of the Year in their specific practice areas by the peer-review legal publication Best Lawyers. In Houston, 2012 Lawyers of the Year and their practice areas are: Bob McAughan, Litigation-Intellectual Property; David Patton, Oil & Gas; Paul Van Slyke, Trademark Law; and Walter P. Zivley, Non-Profit/Charities Law. In Sacramento, Regina J. Schroder is Tax Law Lawyer of the Year for 2012.
Each year, Best Lawyers recognizes one attorney per legal community in high-profile practice areas. They choose designees based on extensive confidential peer surveys, and Lawyers of the Year are singled out for their high ratings in abilities, professionalism and integrity.
Locke Lord’s 2012 Best Lawyers Lawyers of the Year represent a wide range of practice areas and experience:
- Bob McAughan, 2012 Houston Litigation-Intellectual Property Lawyer of the Year, is Co-Chair of Locke Lord’s Intellectual Property (IP) Department and also heads up the IP Litigation Practice Group. He is experienced in all facets of intellectual property litigation, transactional matters, and general counseling, including patents, trademarks, trade dress and trade secrets. McAughan has been named a “Texas Super Lawyer” in Texas Monthly and a “Leading Intellectual Property Attorney in Texas" by Chambers USA.
- David Patton, 2012 Houston Oil & Gas Law Lawyer of the Year, is Co-Chair of Locke Lord’s Energy Practice Group and frequently speaks about oil and gas issues at industry events around the country. He received a national ranking in “Energy: Oil & Gas (Transactional)” in Chambers USA 2011 Client’s Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business.
- Regina J. Schroder, 2012 Sacramento Tax Law Lawyer of the Year, focuses her practice on tax, business, securities/finance and employment issues and represents clients from a variety of industries in their corporate finance, securities, mergers and acquisitions, general business, franchise and employment matters. She is certified as AV Preeminent™ by Martindale Hubbell through peer review. Super Lawyers has named Schroder among Northern California Super Lawyers and she has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America for six consecutive years. Schroder is former Chair of the California State Bar Tax Section.
- Paul Van Slyke, 2012 Houston Trademark Law Lawyer of the Year, heads Locke Lord’s Trademark, Copyright and Branding Section. World Trademark Review’s WTR 1000 has listed him among the world’s pre-eminent lawyers in trademark law and he also is listed in Who's Who Legal: Texas (International Bar Association). Van Slyke is certified as AV Preeminent™ by Martindale Hubbell through peer review.
- Walter P. Zivley, 2012 Houston Non-Profit/Charities Law Lawyer of the Yea, has more than four decades of experience in personal and business tax planning, tax litigation, estate planning and dispute resolution. He has been recognized by Best Lawyers for many years and was a name partner in a Locke Lord predecessor firm, recently having a room named in his honor at the Firm’s Houston Office. For decades, Zivley has advised exempt organizations in connection with tax compliance, tax planning and litigation.
Locke Lord consistently ranks among American Lawyer’s top 100 U.S. law firms. The Firm’s full range of practice and industry areas serve national and international clients from offices in Atlanta, Austin, Chicago, Dallas, Hong Kong, Houston, London, Los Angeles, New Orleans, New York, Sacramento, San Francisco and Washington, D.C. It has an excellent reputation in complex litigation, regulatory and transactional work, with its 650-plus attorneys building collaborative relationships and crafting creative solutions – all designed and executed to meet clients’ long-term strategic goals.