About The Firm
Locke Lord is a full-service, international law firm with offices in Atlanta, Austin, Chicago, Dallas, Hong Kong, Houston, London, Los Angeles, New Orleans, New York, Sacramento, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.
Our team of approximately 650 attorneys has earned a solid national reputation in complex litigation, regulatory and transactional work. We serve our clients’ interests first, and these clients range from Fortune 500 and middle market public and private companies to start-ups and emerging businesses.
Locke Lord’s team builds collaborative relationships and crafts creative solutions to solve problems - all designed and executed with long-term strategic goals in mind. Among Locke Lord’s many strong practice areas are appellate, aviation, bankruptcy/restructuring/insolvency, business litigation and dispute resolution, class action litigation, consumer finance, corporate, employee benefits, energy, environmental, financial services, health care, insurance and reinsurance, intellectual property, international, labor and employment, mergers and acquisitions, private equity, public law, real estate, regulatory, REIT, tax, technology, and white collar criminal defense and internal investigations.
We embrace multiple points of view and support Local Diversity Committees in each of our cities as well as an overall Firm National Diversity Committee. Women hold positions of power in Firm management. There are two women on the Firm’s Executive Committee, including Firm Chair Jerry Clements. The Firm’s Board of Directors has six female members, one of whom serves as Co-Chair. The Managing Partner of our Chicago office also is a woman. Our groups and committees help promote a firmwide philosophy of inclusion and action, helping raise scholarship money for minority and economically disadvantaged students, hosting holiday parties for lower income children and supporting longtime Firm programs like Flexible Work Arrangements, Domestic Partner Benefits and the Women’s Initiative. Corporate responsibility is an important part of Locke Lord’s mission as we reach out to the communities we serve in meaningful partnerships and pro bono work.
Locke Lord’s Mission Statement sets the tone: At the end of each year, we want our firm to be better, stronger and more highly regarded than it was at the beginning.
- Locke Lord consistently ranks among the top 100 law firms nationally in the annual AmLaw 100 (American Lawyer) list, currently listed at No. 69 in 2013.
- Chambers USA 2012 recognizes 36 Locke Lord attorneys and 15 practice areas, including nationwide recognition for our Energy, REIT and Insurance practices. Our Banking & Finance, Corporate M&A, Corporate Insurance, Direct Insurance, Environmental, Health Care, Intellectual Property, Litigation, Real Estate, Reinsurance and Tax practices all received state recognition. Our London lawyers are consistently listed among leaders in their fields in Chambers UK.
- Eighty-eight Locke Lord lawyers are on the Best Lawyers 2013 list, and six Firm practice areas rank among the top in the United States, including Corporate Law, Insurance Law, Litigation – Patent, Oil & Gas Law, Trademark Law and Trusts & Estates Law. Overall Locke Lord has 27 “Best” spots in national rankings and 70 “Best” spots in metropolitan rankings
- Locke Lord received 2012 Gold Standard Certification from the Women in Law Empowerment Forum (WILEF) for integrating women lawyers into the highest levels of Firm leadership. It is one of just 50 firms to receive the WILEF honor.
- Locke Lord’s REIT practice is recognized in the prestigious Chambers Global 2013. The practice also scored in the top of the rankings done by the 2009 AmLaw Corporate Scorecard.
- Locke Lord was named the No. 1 law firm lobby practice in Texas by Capitol Inside’s Texas Lobby Power Rankings 2013, a top spot the Firm has held for the last decade. The chair of the Public Law team was ranked No. 5 in the state out of approximately 2,000 lobbyists and four additional team members also were included in the Power Rankings. The widely read publication called our Public Law team “the epitome of teamwork in the public advocacy profession” in Texas and has said in previous reports that it “has become the model in Texas for lobby practices at law firms.” In addition, Texas Lawyer has consistently ranked the firm’s lobbying practice at the top of law firm lobbying practices based on lobby billings reported to the Texas Ethics Commission.
- Our Insurance and Reinsurance Practices are consistently recognized in national and international publications, earning frequent inclusion in Reactions magazine's annual survey and in The International Who's Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers list of leading U.S. Firms. The Practices also have earned a string of accolades from Chambers USA: Client's Guide of America's Leading Lawyers for Business, and our London lawyers are consistently listed among the leaders in insurance and reinsurance in Chambers UK, including the 2012 edition. Our Insurance and Reinsurance lawyers also are included among The Best Lawyers in America, The Legal 500 United States and Global Broker & Underwriter.
- The head of our Cards and Payments group in London chairs the Prepaid International Forum and is recognized at the top of the 2012 Prepaid Power 10, an international group of leaders in the prepaid industry.
- We are the only law firm to receive a 2010 Corporate Achievement DiversityFIRST™ Award from the Texas Diversity Council.
- Our Chicago Office received the 2012 Diversity Partnership Award from the Just The Beginning Foundation (JTBF) for our pro bono work with this nonprofit organization, which is dedicated to developing and nurturing interest in the law profession among young people from diverse socioeconomic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds. The long-term goal of JTBF is to increase racial diversity in the legal profession and on the bench.
- Locke Lord’s mission is to serve clients’ interests first – a goal that brings excellent results. We represented a major U.S. corporation in the largest energy pipeline transaction of 2011, just one of many successful transactions totaling billions of dollars that our attorneys complete annually. Our London team represented the appellant in an important and precedent-setting decision by the UK Court of Appeal that upholds the right of a party to civil proceedings in England & Wales to attend trial in person.
- Locke Lord attorneys donate their time in several Pro Bono projects, including a victory for the family of a retired firefighter killed while saving lives during the 9/11 tragedy. Our work ensured that Capt. James Corrigan’s name was included in the memorial with other New York firefighters who died as heroes that day. Our efforts also gained political asylum for a woman who endured years of torture in Sudan, and we continue seeking asylum for her children.
- Locke Lord’s Marketing team has repeatedly been ranked among the top firms in the United States by Marketing the Law Firm. Also, for the second consecutive year, the Marketing team in 2012 received the most top honors for a law firm in the Legal Marketing Association Midwest Awards where we received five awards in the categories of Practice Development, Promotional & Collateral Materials (2); Identity; and Marketing on a Shoestring. In 2011, the team won four top honors, including Best in Show for groundbreaking innovation in the development of a Firm iPhone/iPad App.