News & Events
14 Vesey Street
New York, NY
Jay Safer will make a presentation at the Anatomy of a Deposition CLE, this event is sponsored by the New York County Lawyer’s Association (NYCLA). He will discuss depositions in the commercial case and participate in a demonstration. David Wax will be the wintess at the deposition demonstration.
The pre-trial deposition stage is a critical point in any litigation. Indeed many personal injury and commercial cases are either won or lost during the deposition phase. Our panel of experts provides practical guidance, while teaching basic deposition skills, techniques for handling commonly encountered problems, how to use depositions at trial and how to seek rulings from a trial judge. A demonstration of how to conduct a deposition is also re-enacted.
Some of the specific issues addressed include:
- How to control a witness
- Dealing with evasive witnesses
- How to discover and authenticate documents for trial
- What objections can be raised
- When to prevent a witness from answering
- What to do when your witness volunteers information
- How to cut your losses in light of unexpectedly damaging testimony
- How to use depositions at trial to impeach witnesses, introduce testimony of absentee witnesses and place exhibits into evidence
For more information, please click here.